U.N. tries to salvage Libya talks after government announces pullout

Norge Nyheter Nyheter

U.N. tries to salvage Libya talks after government announces pullout
Norge Siste Nytt,Norge Overskrifter
  • 📰 Reuters
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 32 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 16%
  • Publisher: 97%

Libya government dims hopes of salvaging U.N. ceasefire talks

GENEVA/CAIRO - The United Nations sought to salvage talks over a ceasefire for Libya on Wednesday, after the government based in Tripoli announced overnight that it was pulling out after a single day, to protest against the shelling of the port in the capital.

Late on Tuesday, the government said it would suspend its participation after the LNA shelled Tripoli port. “Salame is trying to fix this,” said one of the sources, adding that the government’s reaction was being seen as a “protest” and not necessarily a full withdrawal from talks.Nearly nine years after rebel fighters backed by NATO air strikes overthrew dictator Muammar Gaddafi, Libya still has no central authority. The streets are controlled by armed groups, with rival governments based in Tripoli and the east.

The Geneva meetings have so far been held in different rooms, with Salame shuttling between the parties.

Vi har oppsummert denne nyheten slik at du kan lese den raskt. Er du interessert i nyhetene kan du lese hele teksten her. Les mer:

Reuters /  🏆 2. in US

Norge Siste Nytt, Norge Overskrifter

Similar News:Du kan også lese nyheter som ligner på denne som vi har samlet inn fra andre nyhetskilder.

UN tries to salvage Libya talks after government pulls outUN tries to salvage Libya talks after government pulls outThe internationally-recognised government suspended its participation in Geneva talks with warlord Haftar's militia after the Tripoli port came under attack by the latter's militants.
Les mer »

Tripoli government suspends Libya talks after Haftar attacks Tripoli portTripoli government suspends Libya talks after Haftar attacks Tripoli portLibya's internationally recognized government on Tuesday suspended talks ho...
Les mer »

UN-backed government in Libya suspends talks after attackUN-backed government in Libya suspends talks after attackUN-supported government in Libya says it will suspend its participation in ceasefire talks in Geneva following an attack by Haftar militia on Tripoli's strategic port
Les mer »

Top EU general: Libya mission is key testTop EU general: Libya mission is key testThe head of the EU’s military committee said he has never seen “real war so close to the door of Europe” in his decades-long career
Les mer »

Is the EU attempt to enforce an arms embargo in Libya helping Haftar?Is the EU attempt to enforce an arms embargo in Libya helping Haftar?The EU is seeking to enforce a weapons blockade in Libya, however, it could also mean weakening the internationally recognised government, if it’s not properly applied.
Les mer »



Render Time: 2025-04-05 03:46:18